Welcome, Guest!!

Date: Fri, Apr 19th 2024
Time:

Login Join GTK

STAND-UP COMEDY IN 6 EASY STEPS

Topic Started By: comediansdontdie       Created: Sat, Feb 5th, 2022, 11:48 pm

So, you think you’re funny? If you’re considering a career as a stand-up comic, get a pen and paper—a lot of paper. As any successful comedian will tell you, writing jokes day in and day out requires a serious commitment. Coming up with ideas for a comedy stand-up set might seem easy, but shaping this material into funny jokes that will make people laugh takes a lot of hard work. Here are some tips to get you started.

WHAT IS STAND-UP COMEDY?

Stand-up comedy is a show or performance in which a comedian performs original jokes on stage in front of a live audience to make them laugh. The jokes are scripted and have setups and punchlines. The average stand-up comedy show gets four to six laughs a minute from the audience.

STAND-UP COMEDY IN SIX STEPS

Get Standup comedy Bible (Ebook)>> Inbox me

1. Watch and learn.

Study other comics. Start with the big names, like Chris Rock and Jerry Seinfeld. Watch their early stand up followed by more recent shows. How have their comedic voices developed over the years? Go to a comedy club for a live show to see how comedians structure their set. How do they open and close? How many bits are in each set? Sit in the back and observe the audience. How often do they laugh? What do they respond to most?

2. Gather material.

Not sure where to start? Use your personal experience and write what you know. What culture defines you? What kind of household did you grow up in? What values were instilled in you? What lifestyle and customs do you embrace now? Do some thinking about your background and write a bit with that perspective at its heart. Analyze one of the primary relationships in your life—with a partner, child, boss, employee, or friend—searching for humor in a basic observation about it. Even if you just see a glimmer of an idea, jot it down. You never know if it might work down the road.

3. Start writing jokes.

Write every single day. Pick an idea and approach it like a story — find the narrative arc and flesh out your setup.

Who are the characters?

Where’s the setting?

What’s the situation or conflict?

write a punchline, or two. The punchline is always a plot twist that goes against the logical conclusion. In some cases, the punchline might be the first part of the joke you uncover. In that case, work backward to the setup. If it’s a longer bit, include jab lines—funny moments in the body of the joke—so the audience doesn’t wait too long to laugh. Remember that comedy is about pushing limits. If you leave your comfort zone you’re headed in the right direction.

4. Assemble your act.

Once you have enough jokes written for an hour-long show, select the ones you want to include in a five-minute and ten-minute set. Arrange them in order to see what order feels natural. Don’t cram in too many jokes—leave room for laughter. Always have backup jokes ready in case you need to switch directions.

Don’t think of your act in terms of progressing from bit to bit, but rather as a unified whole. Write transitions between jokes to create a flow. Your act is a composite. Every element matters when you’re performing, from the words you speak to the motions that accompany them.

5. Write the open and close.

Your opening is valuable real estate. It’s one of the most important components of your show, so don’t squander it. The beginning is your chance to show the audience who you are, and the ending presents an opportunity to tie your act together and give it meaning. If you’re not sure how to end, look in the beginning or middle for material you can reintroduce in order to provide cohesion. Thinking of your routine as a story will also help you conclude in a way that is satisfying for your audience. Keep in mind that the ending is what they remember, so place your biggest and most successful bits at the end.

6. Rehearse in front of people.

The only way to know if your stand up works is to try it out in front of an audience. Gather friends, family, or other aspiring comics, and see if you’ve got a shot at a comedy career. This will help you in the following ways:

Memorization. The more you perform your routine the faster you’ll memorize it.

Pacing. Dry runs will help you with timing and rhythm, and how to deliver bits in a conversational manner.

Physical gestures. Work on your physical presence. Try to relax and feel natural when you perform.

Developing confidence. Every time you perform, whether it’s on stage or in front of a casual group, you’ll gain confidence and chip away at any stage fight.

Editing. Don’t get too attached to a bit you think is hilarious. The audience is your editor. Pay attention to their reactions and edit accordingly. If you get a positive response, keep the joke. If you hear crickets take it out of circulation.

Subscribe to get notifications when I create new topics by clicking the SUBSCRIBE button at the top of this page if you have not already subscribed. Thanks.

Related Topic (s) in Comedy section.

I FILLED MY HOUSE WITH REAL SLIME! #UNSPEAKABLE

991 views2 years ago

This looks like fun and something like a certain FNAF character would partly enjoy but ...[Read more]

Indian comics

605 views2 years ago

Indian comedies

When disobey his or parent

738 views2 years ago

Disobedient

EMMANUELLA IS PREGNANT

723 views2 years ago

The link to the videos

Tegwolo;why are you running

673 views2 years ago

This video is superb funny.Tegwolo will kill me with laughter

How my friend get fucked by the FBI

797 views3 years ago

Http://adfoc.us/6886751 video 1

NENGI BREAD SELLER | BRODA SHAGGI | POCO LEE

752 views3 years ago

Best comedy of the month

Can Renewables Make You Laugh? I Think YES! πŸ˜‰

746 views3 years ago

Hi Comedy Forum,   Hope this arrived in time for your coffee β˜•break!   ...[Read more]

You Tube Funny Work Videos

801 views3 years ago

You don’t know the Naught One? He’s got billboards on top ...[Read more]

Markcomedy

820 views3 years ago

Fun, funny, fun

Visit to watch video

774 views3 years ago

Click and watch now

Free 200 airtime Giveaway

937 views4 years ago

Follow the steps below to get your free airtime: 1. Goto this YOUTUBE CHANNEL   2. ...[Read more]

Broda shaggi at it again

915 views4 years ago

Visit to watch video:   https://shrinkme.io/ZcRp4U

When hunger hit you at the wrong spot

982 views4 years ago

This is a short funny video of two hungryfriend What they did will shock you ...[Read more]

FUNNIEST MARK ANGEL COMEDY

FUNNIEST MARK ANGEL COMEDY

1.2K views4 years ago

This is as a matter of fact, the funniest and most popular mark angel comedy, ...[Read more]

Naija Comedy Videos

1K views4 years ago

Join Naija Comedy now for the best comedy videos.  When you forget to sleep ...[Read more]

When she cant stop cheating xploit comedy

When she cant stop cheating xploit comedy

1.1K views5 years ago

Don't forget to SUBSCRIBE to the AUTHOR Your likes and comments are highly needed.. ...[Read more]

Mama Bauchi and red boy in selfishness me

Mama Bauchi and red boy in selfishness me

1.2K views5 years ago

“I used to think that finding the right one was about the man having ...[Read more]

The New Friend 2 - Season 3 Episode 6 | Jenifa\'s diary

The New Friend 2 - Season 3 Episode 6 | Jenifa\'s diary

3.3K views6 years ago

Watch this new Episode of Jenifa's diary titled The New Friend 2 and hope ...[Read more]