Many of you ask yourself what are the 6 best gaming monitors of 2023 to save you search time and go to "fixed shot". Well, we contemplate different sizes, panels, technologies and other aspects to help you find the ideal monitor.
To find out which gaming monitors you can buy this 2023, you have to assess, among other aspects, the panels, the technologies or the sizes. All this will mean a saving of time that will avoid spending several hours looking for the most recommended monitor.
Previous advice to buy a gaming monitor
Before giving you a selection of products, we must explain the reason for each choice. That's why we help you understand every aspect of monitors so you know why some cost more than others and what improvements they bring.
Types of panels on monitors
All you are going to find are LCD-LED panels whose key difference is in the type of backlighting they use, as in technology. The only exception is the OLED, its own panel that differs from the rest.
- Twisted Nematic (TN): It is the cheapest to manufacture and this is reflected in the purchase price, but tell you that its image quality is worse. Of course, it is ideal for good brightness and a high refresh rate (hertz or Hz), both key aspects for gaming. Its great attraction is its price, but it is an exclusive product for gaming.
- Vertical Alignment (VA): This is where curved panels, QLEDs and conventional VAs come in. It is a technology that offers great brightness, a good refresh rate and more interesting blacks than IPS. Its response time was the Achilles heel, but we are seeing great performance in the latest models, both in MPRT and in GtG. So, its weak point would be the viewing angles.
- In-Plane Switching (IPS): It is a technology already known in televisions that is also applied in gaming, but a monitor with this panel usually has a higher price. The reason is that it is a super interesting option for great image quality, good response time, high refresh rate, and good brightness. Perhaps its weak point is the contrast ratio.
- Organic Light-Emitting Diode (OLED): A very expensive option for monitors, but one that gives unmatched performance and image quality. Thanks to its technology it has the fastest response time, even though there is GIGABYTE SuperSpeed IPS. You will only see it on very large monitors, since it can be used with many inches to provide it with 4K resolution.
Resolution and doubts of the ultrawide
Ultrawide, these monitors are more than integrated into the market because video games and applications already have their own resolutions for this type of monitor. Tell you that the ultrawide or ultra panoramic monitor is characterized by being wider than long, offering orientation of 21: 9 , instead of the conventional 16: 9.
This feature makes video games and movies more interesting, and offers a great multitasking space when used for work. Its resolutions are 2K and 4K.
As a start, tell you that the 3 queen resolutions (16:9 aspect ratio) are:
- Full HD or 1080p (1920 x 1080 pixels). In my opinion, it's ideal for monitors that are 24 inches or smaller, especially if the monitor is relatively close to our eyes. That is why we have a large monitor nearby and the resolution is Full HD... the pixels will be seen much more and the experience deteriorates.
- QHD or 1440p (2560 x 1440 pixels). It is becoming the new standard, but tell you that it is not about 2K, but about Quad HD. You will see many options from 27 inches, recommending a maximum of 32-34 inches.
- Ultra HD, 4K, or 2160p (3840 x 2160 pixels). This is true 4K and you will really get the most out of it with large monitors like 34-38 inches. Likewise, a 27- or 32-inch 4K monitor is not a bad option.
The ultrawide resolutions are different, but stay with the last value to locate its resolution (3440 x 1440; 5120 x 2160; 5120 x 1440, etc.).
Refresh rate and response time
If we talk about the 6 best gaming monitors of 2023, we have to talk about hertz and it is one of those preferred values by gamers. The standard value moves at 144 Hz, whether it is 1080p, 1440p or 2160p the resolution: it has become the most common.
That does not mean that you see 240 Hz or even 360 Hz on some monitors that are focused on eSports. Our advice is that you weigh between price-hertz because the more you want, the more money the monitor will cost.
Alternatively, there is the response time, another value that is looked at jointly. It is expressed in milliseconds and the most ideal for gaming is 1 ms GtG or less. If you are very picky, you will choose GtG as a magnitude over MPRT because it is somewhat more reliable.
In our experience, both are quite reliable and there are no radical differences in the gaming experience.
Why those hertz? Everything moves much more smoothly and fluidly, resulting in a TOP gaming experience.
Why a low response time? Basically, to prevent trails from being seen on dynamic objects because they are 5 ms or more. This makes sense when an enemy comes out of a wall and you want to see them as clearly as possible to aim more accurately.
VRR technologies: NVIDIA G-SYNC and AMD FreeSync
To be brief, AMD FreeSync is a software solution at all levels, while NVIDIA has a software solution (G-SYNC Compatible) and 2 levels that force manufacturers to equip a chip in the monitor (G-SYNC and G-SYNC ultimate).
- AMD offers an open-source solution, which means it also works on NVIDIA (and soon Intel Arc) GPUs.
- NVIDIA G-SYNC only works on NVIDIA GPUs and the price of the monitor skyrockets when using integrated chip solutions. The reason is that manufacturers must pay NVIDIA to integrate that chip and use it.
In practice, both solutions work very well, but we recommend G-SYNC for NVIDIA GPUs and FreeSync for AMD Radeon graphics cards.
The 6 best gaming monitors of 2023
After the passage of half a year, we can say that there are certain monitors that have obtained high marks from experts and users. They come to be the following:
- FORM & FUNCTION: With ultra-slim bezels design, Full HD (1920x1080p) resolution, and premium IPS panel, this monitor looks as good as it performs
- AMAZING AT ANY ANGLE: IPS panel ensures stunning views no matter your vantage point
- ENHANCED VIEWING COMFORT: Flicker-Free technology and Blue Light Filter for all-day comfort
- SCREEN SPLIT: ViewSplit software boosts productivity by dividing your screen into multiple viewing windows. Download at ViewSonic website
- FLEXIBLE CONNECTIVITY: The VX3276-MHD supports laptops, PCs, and Macs with HDMI, DisplayPort, and VGA inputs
- INCLUDED IN THE BOX: LCD Monitor,...See details
2. LG UltraGear QHD 27-Inch Gaming Monitor 27GL83A-B - IPS 1ms (GtG), with HDR 10 Compatibility, NVIDIA G-SYNC, and AMD FreeSync, 144Hz, Black
- Designed for gaming, this monitor with a 1-millisecond (GtG) response time delivers all of the benefits of IPS (In-Plane Switching), delivering responsive, crisp visuals with sharp clarity to immerse you in gameplay. Aspect ratio:16:9
- Color accuracy with sRGB 99% and wide viewing angles (up to 178° horizontal / 178° vertical) from IPS reproduce colors with high fidelity to being vivid scenes to life
- A high native 144Hz refresh rate with 1-millisecond Motion Blur Reduction keeps you firmly in the action while reducing blur and ghosting, rendering screen objects more clearly
- With compatible video cards, NVIDIA G-SYNC and AMD FreeSync Premium virtually eliminate screen tearing and minimize stutter in high-resolution and fast-paced games for a fast and fluid gaming experience
- Dynamic Action Sync helps reduce input lag to help you respond to on-screen action quickly. Black Stabilizer dynamically brightens dark scenes to... See details
3. SAMSUNG 34-Inch Odyssey G5 Ultra-Wide Gaming Monitor with 1000R Curved Screen, 165Hz, 1ms, FreeSync Premium, WQHD (LC34G55TWWNXZA, 2020 Model), Black
- OPTIMAL CURVE, TRUE IMMERSION: The all-encompassing 1000R display fills every part of your peripheral vision and draws you right into the character's shoes; Experience a level of gaming more heart-pounding than anything before
- WQHD RESOLUTION: The ultrawide WQHD monitor displays more onscreen content with a seamless dual monitor experience with a 1000R curvature to create a human field of view that gives eye comfort while gaming for long periods of time
- SMOOTH TRANSITIONS: This gaming monitor has a 165hz refresh rate and 1ms response time prevents motion blur and creates a smooth gaming experience that can give users the winning edge
- AMD FREESYNC PREMIUM: Effortlessly smooth gameplay; AMD FreeSync Premium features adaptive sync technology which reduces screen tearing, stutter, and input latency; Low framerate compensation ensures every... See details
4. GIGABYTE G27QC 27" 165Hz 1440P Curved Gaming Monitor, 2560 x 1440 VA 1500R Display, 1ms (MPRT) Response Time, 92% DCI-P3, HDR Ready, FreeSync Premium, 1x Display Port 1.4
- 27” 2560x1440 VA Display with 165Hz Refresh Rate, 1ms (MPRT) Response Time Native 1500R Curvature
- Smooth Gameplay with AMD FreeSync Premium Pro
- Studio Grade HDR Ready and 92% DCI-P3 (120% sRGB) Color Gamut
- Gigabyte Classic Tactical Features with OSD Sidekick
- GIGABYTE Auto-Update
- Ergonomic design with... See more details
5. AORUS FI32U 32" 4K SS IPS Gaming Monitor, Exclusive Built-in ANC, 3840x2160 Display, 144 Hz Refresh Rate, 1ms Response Time (GTG), 1x Display Port 1.4, 2x HDMI 2.1, 2x USB 3.0, with USB Type-C, BLACK
- 31.5" SS IPS 3840 x 2160 4K Display Gaming Monitor
- Aspect Ratio is 16:9
- 144Hz Refresh Rate, 1ms (GTG) Response Time, Supports FreeSync Premium Pro
- 10-bit color / 90% DCI-P3 / 123% sRGB / VESA DisplayHDR 400
- OSD Sidekick, PiP /PbP, Dashboard, Black Equalizer, Game Assist, Auto Noise Cancellation
- Audiophile soundquality by... See more details
- 27-inch 4K IPS gaming monitor with 144Hz refresh rate for super-smooth gaming visual.Response time:1.0 milliseconds
- Aspect Ratio is 16:9; Viewing Angle (CR≧10, H/V) is 178°/ 178°; Brightness (Typ) is 350cd/㎡
- Supports Display Stream Compression Technology for transporting ultra-high definition video streams across a single interface at high speed with no perceptible loss of visual quality
- High dynamic range (HDR) technology with DisplayHDR 400 certification and 90% DCI-P3 professional color gamut ensures exceptional contrast and... See more details